Sunday, September 05, 2010

Life, Death and the Other Registry

As you know I'm trying to stay away from writing about politics this weekend, so I can write about some of the other things that get me out of bed in the morning.

And this is one of them.

Because I've seen enough suffering, sometimes I think of death as something like this.

































But not when they're young, and haven't had a chance to live a full life. Then I feel they've been cheated.

So I found this story particularly moving.

When David Smyth was told two months ago that the aggressive leukemia he had been warding off his entire life had finally arrived, he was reflective and gracious.

“I’ve had a good life,” Smyth told his parents. “Thank you.”


And I thought the way so many people tried to save his life was awesome.

The Oakville youth inspired communities across Southern Ontario, who lined up in hundreds to have their cheeks swabbed and tested.

Numerous donor drives were held, with more planned for the coming weeks.

Trent University in Peterborough was planning an event on Sept. 21 aiming to have its entire student population tested.


That's my idea of Canada. People helping each other 

But still it wasn't enough. The good news?

By trying to save David's life, they saved the life of his friend. 

That's my idea of COMMUNITY.

But of course we must and can do better.

I want our bone marrow registry to be the best in the world.

If we don't do it, who will?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post - nice to start the day with something positive and inspiring!

Simon said...

hi Brahm...I'm glad you liked it. I thought the story of David was sad but inspiring. What bravery, what grace. And how beautiful that thanks to him they were able to save the life of his friend. I have to admit though that this post was practically dictated by my companion Sebastien who feels even more strongly about the issue than I do. However, I translated his thoughts into English, so I demand ten per cent of the credit !!! :)
More seriously though, I hope with all my heart that David's story can inspire more people to sign up for the registry. Because the more people who do, the more lives we can save...