Monday, June 14, 2010

Shannon Barry's Special Gay Pride Parade












Remember Shannon Barry?

She's the lesbian in Edmonton who was brutally assaulted. Only to have insult added to injury.

"[It's] like this never happened to me. Like they don't care. And that's what makes me not feel safe in my own city."

That story both angered and depressed me. Because I hate bullies, and cops who don't do what's right. And I felt so sorry for Shannon.

So imagine how happy I was to see her smiling today.















"I don't know about faith and I don't know about trust, but I feel loved and I'm okay," she said.

Because that's what gay parades are really all about eh?

And the story reminds me of a video I saw earlier this week from a young lesbian named Cassie.

Telling gay people who are too afraid or shy to come out, that whatever the bigots say or do to them, they are BEAUTIFUL.

And we are with them...



Wow. Isn't that awesome? So simple and yet so powerful.

Hooray for Edmonton. Here's to Shannon and Cassie, my beautiful lesbian sisters, and my wonderful gay family.

Because we care for each other.

What doesn't kill us makes us STRONGER...

No comments: