Thursday, October 14, 2010

Are Old White Men Killing Canada?

















It's lucky Canada looks so beautiful at this time of the year eh? Or I might be driven to despair.

Mr. Graves’s survey finds that the Conservatives picked up the most strength in Alberta – not a province where they have ever lacked support – with 61.8 per cent. He says the Tory strength right now is “concentrated in white, male seniors from Alberta and the rest of the Prairies.”

Why are these old reactionaries so powerful? And what are so many other seniors doing to my country?

Canada’s youth would elect a Liberal minority government, with a substantial increase in representation for the New Democrats, Bloc Québécois, and Greens, according to projections based on recent polls of Canadians between the ages of 18 and 24. The Conservative Party would be severely reduced, virtually wiped out east of Manitoba.

Based solely on the support of Canada’s most elderly citizens, the Conservative Party would be swept to a huge majority with 192 seats and 44 per cent of the vote, with support levels topping 50 per cent in the western provinces and Atlantic Canada.

Is that why nobody cares about global warming? Because they won't be around when it torches the planet. Is that why so few care about bullying? Because they can't remember when they were young.

Is that why the rights of women and gays are being trampled upon? Because when these old fogies were young, women knew their place, and gay people were in prison?

Is that why so few Canadians care about the fate of Omar Khadr? Because he's young AND brown?

Even though he was a child soldier, and never should have been jailed, tortured, or put on trial.

Is that why we can't seem to be able to do the obvious thing, and form a coalition to drive  the Cons from power forever? Because that would be something NEW. And new is BAD.

OMG. How depressing. I work with a lot of seniors and I absolutely LOVE them. Even the grumpy old men who give me a hard time. And NOTHING will ever change that.

But what a nasty shock eh? 

Talk about the 34th miner...



The good news? I'm from Quebec.

(The Cons) are suffering in Quebec with only 13.7 per cent support. This, just a month after Quebeckers seemed to be flirting with them over the Prime Minister’s musings about supporting an NHL-calibre hockey arena in Quebec City. At that time they had 21.1 per cent support; two weeks ago that dropped to 14.7 per cent.

Where old and young both hate the Cons.

Time heals everything.

Canada is still worth saving.















The present may be ghastly.

But the future will be BRIGHTER...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a male, white, senior citizen and I've voted in every federal, provincial, and municipal election since forever. And I've never voted for repulsive, cynical, crap-peddlers, theocratic, homophobic, xenophobic morons. Am I the only one? I doubt it. So here's my call to you (young Canadians) - get out there and make sure that all the old geezers know what's right AND that they vote ABC.

Simon said...

hi anonymous...I did say that I loved older Canadians. What I didn't say this time, although I have said it before, is that some of the strongest progressives in this country are seniors. And that they are the progressives that I admire the MOST. So I like this a lot:

So here's my call to you (young Canadians) - get out there and make sure that all the old geezers know what's right AND that they vote ABC.

Young and old together we WILL beat those Cons... :)