Thursday, August 08, 2013

Rosie DiManno and the War on Marijuana



Oh no. How much more can I stand? Not the Great War on Marijuana. Again.

First the Harper Cons come out sounding like something out of Reefer Madness.

Now here comes Rosie DiManno to open up a whole new front in the War on Weed.

By declaring that marijuana shouldn't be legalized, because it makes you STUPID !!! 

Not a single habitual user I’ve ever known has been enhanced, augmented even slightly in personality or as good company, by weed. You may think you’re being clever and witty, but you’re merely imbecilic. Mellow, no doubt, perhaps de-stressed — or, if consumed for medicinal purposes, cushioned against pain and depression, thus perfectly acceptable and already legal for some 14,000 registered users in Canada. Otherwise, it is the stupid of highs.

As opposed to booze which makes you intelligent, as well as loud and violent eh?

Or smack which she thinks is yummy. But can kill you like cocaine. Or alcohol. Or so many other drugs.

While nobody to my knowledge has ever died from smoking too much marijuana.

And when it comes to its other health effects this is misleading:

I’m having difficulty following the logic here. Health Canada has moved heaven and earth to make smoking a tacitly illegal activity, while the government continues to rake in huge profits from grossly overtaxing the product. If nicotine is so destructive of health, surely marijuana is no better.

Because it ignores the simple fact that people smoke many more cigarettes than they do joints. So although putting smoke into your lungs is never a good thing, the health effects are relatively negligible.

Also DiManno ignores or glances some of the other positive public health advantages of legalizing and controlling the substance. Not only because it would help keep the substance out of the hands of children. Or help keep teenagers out of jail.

But also because it could ensure basic quality control, and make sure millions of Canadians aren't smoking something DANGEROUS...



For who knows what pesticides or other dangerous chemicals the mob is using to make their BILLIONS. The billions that could be better used to fund more worthy enterprises like medicare.

As for this:

Not a single habitual user I’ve ever known has been enhanced, augmented even slightly in personality or as good company, by weed. You may think you’re being clever and witty, but you’re merely imbecilic.

All I can say is that some people's imbecility, can be some other people's creativity. And the inspiration of many artists, like Jack Kerouac for example.

Who was fuelled by marijuana and benzedrine when he wrote his famous novel On the Road.

And whose health and spirit was ruined by alcohol...



That ruptured the veins in his guts, so even 15 litres of blood couldn't save him.

Yup. When I think about it, a drug that can make you mellow, creative, playful, laugh a lot, make a bowl of cereal taste heavenly, and make you REALLY friendly can't be all that bad eh?

And all I can say to Di Manno is that she, not Justin Trudeau is the one who sounds STOOPID.

And of course that I'm sorry she had a bad experience with marijuana. And that it wasn't as yummy as smack. And that she doesn't like smoking it.

But Rosie don't throw out the bong with the bath water. Or reach for the needle again. There's still HOPE !!!!! 

Just do what Jimmy Harper did and eat it in a BROWNIE...



The Great War on Marijuana.

I don't know why it brings out the stoopid in so many eh?

But it's still a CRIME.

Stephen Harper and his foul Cons are still waging war on their own people.

And it's still MADNESS...



Click here to recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

dimanno is the stoopid one. Booze and other hard drugs (obviously her choices) can be o.d.'d on and kill you. It happens every fucking day. Marihoochie has never been o.d.'d on in the history of the world in quantity enough to cause 1 single death. You gets too toasted; you nods out. Nice little arrangement.
Where's the logic, rosie?

Steve said...

I have never liked Rosie, she should go to the Sun.

wazz said...

Rosie's the moron who has written columns defending her 'right' as a smoker to blow smoke in people's faces. She's not only a ridiculous hypocrite, but a complete idiot.

bcwaterboy said...

If the capitalist movement was really about anything other than fossil fuels, they would surely be knocking the door down to steal some of the profits form the vast marijuana industry. What's really shocking about this whole mess is that technology moves at break neck speed but we can't seem to change the culture of denial we're stuck in regards to a drug that is certainly less lethal than alcohol or tobacco.

Lorne said...

Here is a link, Simon, to a video I just watched in which Dr. Sanjay Gupta recants his past anti-pot propagandizing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tqg2y3yYR0#at=23

Anonymous said...

When kids buy pot off the streets, who knows what else it is laced with? I would far sooner see pot legalized and controlled, to me that is much more safe. Pot is used for medicinal purposes too. How many tax free millions of dollars, do the peddlers of pot rake in?

Alcohol and cigarettes are lethal drugs and we use those quite freely. This is just Harper doing another nasty to Trudeau. Harper's hate, spite and malice towards Trudeau is, absolutely bizarre, vindictive, very ugly and sick.

thwap said...

Rosie, clueless as always. As if she's the arbiter of what's "stupid"!

e.a.f. said...

Who is Rosie D. and why should I care? weed is smoked by many. Now I have seen many drunks become violent and become spousal abusers but I have yet to see a weed smoker do the same. Like its more fun to go eat ice cream.

weed ought to be legalized in Canada. The wasting of resources to "deal" with "illegal weed" is way past stupid. The resources could be much better used to look into violence against women, impaired driving, "white collar" crime, etc.

Of course the Cons may not want to legalize or decriminalize weed because, once stevie slime brings in for profit prison corporations, they will want to have a "full house". Some of these private prison corporations actively lobby for stiffer sentences in the U.S.A. so they can continue to make large profits. the same will happen in Canada. stevie promised us he wouldn't recognize Canada, when he was through with us. Most of us will be in jail. The Americans have been throwing people into jail for weed for decades. What did it get them? More drug crime, more drug cartels, more people in jail, more violence, etc.

Edstock said...

Poor Rosie, the middle-aged grump. Roughly half of the 50+ crowd start to turn grumpy, like Rosie. Like John Mellencamp's song goes,

"Life goes on long
After the thrill of living is gone"

What the old girl needs, for starters, is an evening with a bong and some hydro.

lagatta à montréal said...

Ed, I'm over 50 as well, and I know a lot of cool people my age and considerably older. I find your comment a bit offensive, as I also know young prigs and many people (think Jean Charest or Jason Kenney) were born old.

I have seen dopey stoners, but nothing as idiotic as a group of drunken "sport fans" on a rampage. Except perhaps a former colleague, working at a very leftwing union, writing articles about women's rights ... and phoning in death threats to his ex-wife. Fuelled by a lot of booze and even more cocaine (one of those classic "upper-downer" cocktails).

I loves my wine, by the way, but it is really better enjoyed with food and in moderation.

Legalise it. Even though upper-class twit Justin Trudeau says so. Occasionally he says something correct...

Edstock said...

Either you're grumpy, or you're not. If you are one of the grumps, tough shit if you're offended. If you're not one of the grumpy, why the hell should YOU be offended? I'm 64 myself, and I see the slide to mental grumpiness like Rosie all around as people age. Lighten up. Capisce?

Simon said...

hi anonymous...Rosie can do some decent stuff like she did with the shooting of Sammy Yatim. And at least she's in favour of decriminalization. But her comments about marijuana were laughable, and put down at least half the population of Canada. It does need to be controlled, we do need education, but if people are going to use drugs, marijuana it seems to me is the least harmful...

Simon said...

hi Steve...As I said to the previous commenter, I think she blows hot and cold as writer. I hated her jingoistic shite in Afghanistan (although she was never as bad as Blatchford) and a lot of her other stuff makes me gasp or puke. But I thought her stuff on Sammy Yati was pretty good. She has written some powerful stories. But her marijuana article was just out to lunch. And her criticism of Justin Trudeau also went nowhere. I can only conclude she's getting cranky in her old age, or that's she's taking the wrong drugs... ;)

Simon said...

hi wazz...well on that issue I am extremely conflicted, because I feel sorry for smokers since I was, and sometimes am, one of them. In fact the ONLY reason I don't smoke much marijuana is because it can give me an insatiable urge to have a cigarette. But yes,although I give Rosie credit for at least being original in her criticism of legalization, she should really lighten up...or light up... and stop making such sweeping generalizations about so many other people. I'm not kidding eh? When I read what she said about me and my friends, my ears turned red... ;)

Simon said...

hi bcwaterboy...in my opinion the whole War on Drugs is just an excuse to militarize the police and pacify the population. It's based on moralistic baloney, it doesn't work, and it's a monumental waste of money. Legalizing and taxing marijuana could provide the government with another big source of income. So in addition to everything else the idea of wasting billions, instead of making them, strikees me as totally INSANE...

Simon said...

hi Lorne...thanks a lot for the link. I think it's important for people like him to speak up so we can have a rational debate on the issue. And of course medical marijuana is in a category of its own. Because if the War on Marijuana is senseless and destructive, that denying the sick marijuana when it helps them is absolutely inhuman. I guide my life by the principles of science and harm reduction, and all the other stuff goes in one ear and out of the other...

Simon said...

hi anonymous...You don't see much written about the quality of the marijuana sold in Canada. But with all the things we spray on plants these days, I think all pot smokers should be concerned. And if their government wasn't so busy demonizing a drug, instead of improving public health, it might think that too...

Simon said...

hi thwap...well as I said at least she attacked the issue from an unusual angle. And her lurid description of the fatal charms of smack, almost made me want to try it. ;)
But yes, how dare she call us stupid, while writing such a dumb article?

Simon said...

hi e.a.f... I think part of the problem with that article was that she started off with the idea of criticizing Justin Trudeau, then got caught up in the fond memories of her heroin youth, and forgot what the point was. If we're going to discuss the issue seriously, what we need right now is more facts and less opinion....

Simon said...

hi Edstock...well I'd like to say you're wrong about the middle-aged grump syndrome. But since I work with seniors a lot, and love them, I know you're not. I spend so much time trying to cheer some up, if I had a big red nose I could join the circus.
But my view is this: we're only here once, every stage in life has its challenges, everybody should lighten up, and there's nothing as sweet as a really old persons laughter...

P.S. I don't know what "hydro" is but it sounds interesting... ;)

Simon said...

hi lagatta...goodness gracious what's happening bella? Edstock meant no harm. I'm sure we all agree that a lot of older Canadians are cool, that there are a lot of young prigs, or pricks as I call them. And that both Jason Kenney and Pierre Poislievre were born old. But I think we also have to agree that Rosie sounded a bit like an angry old guy sitting on his porch and shaking his fist at passing cars. At my stage in life I have abandoned many of my lofty ambitions, but avoiding a fate like that is definitely still one of them... :)

lagatta à montréal said...

Rosie has been an angry old gal for a long time.

Oh yes, indeed I don't want to end up like that. Apologies to Edstock, I didn't realize he is older than I am; I thought it was one of those rants against "boomers".