Saturday, July 02, 2016

Why Canada Day Was For Me The Best Canada Day Ever



A year ago I wrote a post about Canada Day and called it Canada Day in Harperland: Between Hope and Despair.

Because although I never lost hope that we would defeat him, the monster was still in power...



And I couldn't help wondering how long it would be before we got our Canada back.

So I knew yesterday's Canada Day was going to be really special. 

And I wasn't disappointed.



For the show in the shadow of our liberated Parliament was everything I hoped it would be, a real celebration of this big beautiful country.

And my best Canada Day EVER.

Canadians marked their country's 149th birthday Friday with coast-to-coast celebrations headlined by a big party in Ottawa — where thousands turned Parliament Hill's lawn into a vast expanse of red and white.

For I loved the sight of all that red and white. Red as the maple leaf, white as the snow.

And no Con blue, just the blue of the Canadian sky... 



And when I saw what Justin Trudeau had to say I knew that my Canada was back.

Trudeau said Canada is one of the most-diverse countries on the planet and also one of the most prosperous. "And it's not a coincidence," he said.

"We are a country where everyone is equal, regardless of our sexual orientation or our sexual identity," Trudeau said, drawing cheers.


For diversity is our strength. It's what makes us a tolerant country in a world full of bigots and hate mongers.

No Prime Minister has ever even acknowledged the existence of the LGBT people of Canada. 

After the tragedy of Orlando which has shocked and saddened all gay Canadians that recognition couldn't have come at a better moment...



And this was a bonus.

While the world is reeling from terrorist attacks, the rise of Donald Trump, anti-LGBT discrimination and the UK’s monumental decision to leave the European Union without an exit plan, there is one major developed country that arguably remains a bastion of objectivity and rationality. 

Happy Canada day.


For I used to believe that it would take years to repair the damage Stephen Harper had done to our once decent image abroad.

So the way Justin has managed to do that in just a few months, and made us an exciting country again.

Canada, once viewed as “dull and boring”, is now the enviably sensible nation where gender equality rules, cannabis is semi-legal and politics are pleasingly pragmatic.

Is almost as amazing as this trick...



Although I must say I'm glad he isn't doing that anymore, as far as I know.

Because if he did drop a baby I can only imagine what Rona Ambrose might say...



The monstrous leader of the ghastly Harper Party, which always was and always will be as Canadian as a three-dollar bill.

Who could never understand why I found the way a group of Syrian refugees were welcomed to the party on Parliament Hill so moving...



Or why when I saw what 11-year-old Azziza Toubeh had to say, I also felt like weeping.



But only because I was so happy I wanted to hug her, and say thank YOU for helping us to be a better people, and act like Canadians again.

So although I did run pictures of some fireworks yesterday, there was another big fireworks show in my neighbourhood last night.

And in the firm belief that one can't fire off enough fireworks to celebrate the downfall of the monstrous Con regime.

I want to dedicate this to little Azziza.

And of course to all of you...



Our long struggle was worth it. We did get our country back. 

It's never looked so beautiful.

And I couldn't be prouder or happier...

Please click here to recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what Simon I think yesterday was my favorite Canada Day too. I was at the parade on St Catherine here in Mtl and every ethnic group that you could think of was there and celebrating and proud to be Canadian. Chinese, Sikhs, Venezuelans you name it. I was very moved at a certain moment and I felt like crying but I kept my composure. :P

Have a great weekend brother.

-MC

Dan said...

It was a pretty good Canada Day yesterday.

Simon said...

hi MC...I'm glad to hear you had a great Canada Day too. St Catherine's on a sunny day is a great street for a parade. I actually took part in the St Patrick's day parade once , and it was a lot of fun. I think I was the only sober person on my float. ;)
But yes, Canada is looking good these days, we are the envy of a troubled world, and I've never been prouder of our peaceful and beautiful land...

Simon said...

hi Dan...yes it was. I thought the sight of the Governor General dancing said it all. And the party in my neck of the woods wasn't bad either. I've never seen so many people on the waterfront, and to see so many people from so many different backgrounds mingling so peacefully and so happily together, was all I ever wanted my Canada to be...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to take back our country - Canada's decade of darkness is finally over

David said...

Yes, the Fraser Institute actually wants to privatize Canada Day
http://www.pressprogress.ca/yes_the_fraser_institute_actually_wants_to_privatize_canada_day

David said...

Remember Harper's speech from Canada Day 2015?

https://ipolitics.ca/2015/07/02/harpers-canada-day-speech-and-the-canadian-identity/

Harper devoted a quarter of his speech to the military, reminding Canadians — and his political rivals — of conflicts at home and abroad, “[In] Iraq and in Kuwait, they are fighting the terrorists there, to keep us safe here. Now friends, as we saw right here in our Parliament, this threat is everywhere today.” Hmm, is there an election this fall?

But Harper’s remarks were perhaps more notable for what they did not mention: multiculturalism, medicare, peacekeeping, national unity, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

e.a.f. said...

this year the end of Ramadan was 1 July. It was a great celebration! Add in the Toronto Pride Parade on the same weekend and Canada had a lot to party for.