Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Thanksgiving in Harperland:The Sorrow and the Hope



It still takes my breath away. This country so big and so beautiful.

And on this Thanksgiving Day, even in Harperland, I have so many reasons to be thankful.

A roof over my head and enough food to eat. A great companion, a loving family, friends who keep me grounded and make me laugh. Readers who encourage and support me so much.

The simple pleasures of life in Canada...



Like anything to do with boats and bikes eh?

Or the sight of this single solitary Monarch butterfly...



At a time when so many have been wiped out by human greed.

Or the humble animals at little Far Enough Farm, like Jake the Donkey...



Who helped me recover from from the loss of this old friend...



The one who loved this season and its fallen leaves, and I still miss so much.

And it could all be the perfect Thanksgiving, just the right human mixture of joy, hope, and sadness.

Until I remember this...



Theo Moudakis/Toronto Star

Because what's wrong with this picture?

How could such a young, big, and beautiful country have such a monstrous leader?

How could this nightmare happen? It's so wrong and so depressing.

And yet on this Thanksgiving day it's also another reason to be thankful. Thankful that I belong to a great progressive family that is determined to drive him and foul Con regime from power.

And thankful for the readers who are following my journey to that great day of victory. For if we have shared the hard times, so too will we share the good ones.

And the day the Cons are defeated will be a day to remember.

A beautiful, glorious, joyful day.

And the best Thanksgiving EVER...



Happy Thanksgiving everybody !! 

I hope yours was as good as mine. It's still a big and beautiful country.

We will get it back. The battle starts tomorrow.

And the best is still to come...

Click here to recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Yes, we will get our country back.

Anonymous said...

And a happy Thanks Giving to you also Simon. Your old friend is probaby in stick junkies heaven and up to his or her ears in sticks and tennis balls.

We have a criminal enterprise as our government and it will be a celebration when the plague is gone.

Anonymous said...

I agree the Conservative Party of Canada is a travesty of what good government should look like - at any level. They wallow at the trough like there's no tomorrow, and only look up to snort derision at the people they govern. Their defeat can't come quick enough.

Simon said...

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. And yes like you, I will never stop fighting until we get our country back....

Simon said...

Yup. If there is a doggie heaven I fully expect to find my old friend with a stick in his mouth near a large body of water. And yes the day the Cons are gone will be a party to remember... ;)

Simon said...

As I've said many times before, I still can't quite believe what Harper and his Cons have done to this country. I never could have dreamed of something so horrible, and I will not rest until this nightmare is over...

lagatta à montréal said...

Some of us would say your first photo is of a different country...

Simon said...

hi lagatta....that may be true, but it's the heart of Simon's country. The old reservoir is where I walked my dogs, the McGill Ghetto is where I feel most at home, the university is where I became a shit disturber, the Royal Victoria is where I once worked, and the mountain is one of the places where I fell in love in love with Seb, and the place on which my ashes will be scattered when I am finally done...