Thursday, March 03, 2011

Jim Travers 1949 - 2011












He was a giant of Canadian journalism.

He stood for the best this country can be, and he fought the Cons with the kind of moral authority I admired.

I could feel his pain at seeing his country slowly dragged into the gutter.

He was old, he was sick, but he never gave up.

As another great Canadian journalist said today.

Think of a man who was a delight to know, a delight to read and a delight to listen to.

A gentleman's gentleman and a journalist's journalist.


Oh boy. I'm going to miss him so much.

Now it is up to us to carry on his message, and defeat the evil Cons.

Long live James Travers.

Long live OUR Canada !!!!

Recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers

5 comments:

Omar said...

I found out about Travers passing watching Bob Rae give a very emotional statement just prior to QP. Jim Travers shoes will not be easily filled. This is indeed a sad, sad day.

Anonymous said...

A tragedy for Canadian journalism and nothing less.

I always looked forward to his articles in the Star and comments
on CBC and CTV/

Sad. Truly, truly sad.

Simon said...

hi Omar...It is a very sad day. I'm sure that if James Travers had known that a guy like me admired him, he would have been shocked. But the truth is I admired the old guy so much, that when I heard he had died I wept like a baby.
He was a connection to a better Canada that I can now only vaguely remember, but his memory will inspire me to fight even harder to try to get it back...

Annie said...

I will miss his column..Rest in Peace, Jim, so sad.

Simon said...

hi Torontonian... It is a tragedy to lose a man like that at a time like this. As I told Omar, unlike yours truly he was a real gentleman so he didn't call the Cons the names I do. ;) But I could tell that he held them in contempt for what they are doing to our country, and I found that enormously encouraging.
He will be missed but not forgotten..