Wednesday, July 15, 2009

CSIS and the Shame of Omar Khadr













I see that six years after they interrogated Omar Khadr in his Guantanamo hell hole, those cruel CSIS agents have finally been condemned.

CSIS ignored human-rights concerns and did not take Omar Khadr's age into account in deciding to interview him at the U.S. military's Guantanamo Bay prison, says a report from the parliamentary committee that oversees the spy agency.


And I can only wonder why did it take so long?

I've written about this case so many times before.

But of course the video says it all.



And so does this:

"I always say that I've never seen anyone who's been so abused and so abandoned by so many who should know better."

Poor Omar Khadr, the Canadian child soldier who was abandoned by his own people. Who after six years in that twilight gulag appears to be losing hope that anyone in Canada will ever help him.

Poor Canada, the pariah nation that allowed a child to be tortured. And has done nothing to save him.

How long must the shame go on?

--------------------------------------------------

P.S. A friend of mine asked me this evening why I spend so much time writing about Omar Khadr, when he said he's probably a religious fanatic who hates gays. It's a question I've been asked a million times by right-wingers.

So I told him what I told them. There's no reason to believe that Omar is a religious extremist who hates gays. But even if he was it wouldn't make a difference. Because he WAS a child soldier. Justice is justice. And no matter what you think of him or his family, or what political party you support, it's the only right, decent and Canadian thing to do.

Because my Canada is BETTER than that.

You know.... so I never have to answer that question again...

8 comments:

skdadl said...

Well said, Simon. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Suggest you read lawyer Howard Anglin's piece.."Khadr not a child soldier."As for the rest of your post,who cares?

accidental altruist said...

Great post. I especially like your answer to the frequent question you've been getting.

I run The Campaign for JUSTICE for Omar Khadr facebook group. We've got over 6,200 members who also agree that Justice is justice and that Canada should be better than this.

Simon said...

hi skdadl...thanks...you know how this case bothers me. I can never forget that we were the FIRST to sign the U.N. Protocol on Child Soldiers, and the first to ignore it. It can't get more shameful than that...

Simon said...

Hi anonymous...believe me I tried. But it was such painful nonsense I felt like I was being waterboarded.So after three paragraphs I gave up. I figure why read that shite when I can read Cheney?
But you're right of course... Howard Anglin...your comment... who cares?

Simon said...

hi accidental altruist...thanks and good for you for running that facebook group.I find that very encouraging because Omar Khadr was forgotten for so long. And because I have been horrified by the way some Canadians have drowned out the simple justice of this case, by braying like racists...or just idiots.
As for THE QUESTION...yeah I'm glad I got that one down in print. Because even when I try to be polite it ALWAYS gets me going. :)

accidental altruist said...

Hi Again Simon

Can I quote you in the facebook group:

"I can never forget that we were the FIRST to sign the U.N. Protocol on Child Soldiers, and the first to ignore it. It can't get more shameful than that..."

These words are very powerful. If you wish, it would be great if you posted the quote yourself:


http://www.facebook.com/business/dashboard/?ref=sb#/pages/The-Campaign-for-JUSTICE-for-Omar-Khadr/49663170743

Thank you.

Simon said...

Hi accidental altruist...you are free to quote anything of mine you want. I'd be honoured.
But I'm not on facebook so I can't do it myself...