Wednesday, November 02, 2011

The Slow Death of the Gun Registry














I see that the bill to kill the long-gun registry has passed second reading in the House of Commons. And what an ugly sight it was. The Cons on their feet yelling "Yippee" and "Yahoo" like a bunch of drunken rednecks.

I've already written a post about my feelings on this issue. So I'll leave it up to Sabina and this righteous cowboy to say what needs to be said.

And all I'll add is this:

(1) I will never apologize for wanting a kinder, gentler world with less guns and less violence. For that's what being a progressive means to me, and so does being a Canadian. 

(2) I will never forgive the Cons for endangering the lives of police officers, paramedics and other first responders. Some of whom are my friends. By depriving them of a useful tool to take guns out of the hands of criminals, the mentally ill, and men who kill women.

(3) I will work tirelessly to unite the left, and join the struggle to redistribute seats in this country, so a small group of rural gun nutz can't tell most Canadians who live in cities how to live their lives. Just because they're too dumb, too greedy, or too paranoid to put the good of society before their selfish interests. 

(4) Once again I am proud to come from Quebec the last bastion of Canadian values.

Quebec has opened up a second front in the fight against Ottawa’s law-and-order agenda, refusing to pay for higher prison costs flowing from a federal omnibus anti-crime bill and blasting the legislation as counter-productive.

The Quebec government is also in a dispute with Ottawa over its decision to kill the long-gun registry, suggesting it will go to court to get the information it contains on gun ownership in the province and set up its own database.


And if that great people ever decide they must leave Canada to preserve those values, I will gladly go with them. For I do not consent to live in a country with the values of rural Alberta. Or Alabama.

And finally, as I said before, I will never forget the murdered women of the École Polytechnique, whose precious legacy was the gun registry. That legacy has been trampled upon by the Cons, who believe that a woman's place is in the kitchen, or on her knees with her mouth open.

It has been betrayed by the indifference of progressives, too old or too tired to fight the good fight. Or remember what the struggle for women's rights is all about.

But I won't forget those murdered women, or all the others killed by violent men with guns.  We will fight those Amerikan Cons forever.

And we will remember...



Oh yeah.... one more thing. Gun nutz please don't bother sending me any comments, for I will delete them upon arrival. Save your spit to oil your rifles.

You didn't really think you could threaten the lives of others, destroy a data base, and get away with it did you?

Enjoy your smelly little victory you ghastly Con teabaggers, for it will not last long... 

2 comments:

Beijing York said...

I'm hoping for some kind of constitutional challenge to stop or at least slow down Harper's criminal move. It's one thing to stop the program but it's altogether another thing to destroy the database.

Anonymous said...

As an Alberta, I find your comments highly offensive. Way to tar every one you don't agree with with the same brush.