Monday, May 05, 2008

Obama and the Danger of Shattered Hope














Steve Bell

As I've said many times before I don't really care who wins the hideous neverending Democratic slugfest. President Hillary or President Obama both sound great to me.

But I'm pulling for Obama because for a while he made me believe it was possible to rise above the bloody muck we are drowning in.

He made me hope for something new and better.

And I wasn't the only one.

A poll released last week by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research revealed results in North Carolina that mirror a pattern happening across America throughout the primaries. A staggering 63% of voters under 35 declared their support for Obama.

If Obama loses the nomination in the coming days or weeks, the loss won't be tragic for him. But it might be for those millions of newcomers inspired to give organized politics and participation a try.

Like this disillusioned Gen Y'er.

I'll just put that out there. If Obama is done in by this whole Wright thing I am done with politics. I can't invest myself in something that is so sure to disappoint me time and time and time again....Racists on both sides of the divide will rejoice at having taking down the biggest threat to their belief system since Martin Luther King....and young people like myself will burrow deeper into to the holes we were in before Barack Obama dug us out.

I'm not saying that the feelings of young Americans should carry any more weight than the feelings of older ones. I'm the first to admit that sometimes young people are TOO idealistic. Or naive or just plain stoopid.

And Hillary is quite a fighter who deserves a chance to be President.

But nothing can change the fact that hopes of a generation massively aroused from it's despairing slumber ...... and then brutally shattered .... could be DEVASTATING on election day. And could hand victory to the Republicans.

Which is why I'm hoping against hope that Obama still has The Force with him....



Commander Simon of the Canadian Rebel Alliance to Jedi Knight Obama:

Resist the temptations of the Dark Side.

Darth Vader is NOT your Mother.

The Republicans ARE the evil Galactic Empire.

The future belongs to us....

No comments: