Sunday, June 10, 2007

Lewis Hamilton: A Star is Born


















I'm not big on hero worship. I don't even like the way people call sports stars heroes. Because most of them don't deserve it. But I think I have found someone in the sporting world to REALLY cheer for...and his name is Lewis Hamilton

I've been a Formula One fanatic since I was five-years-old. But the first time I saw Hamilton race I couldn't believe my eyes. I was stunned. How could a rookie go so fast... so soon? I know he's driving a super car. But how could somebody that young be so good?

But if I didn't quite believe it then, after what happened in Montreal today, nobody can have any doubts that a star is born.

Today's race was a demolition derby. Montreal's track is dinky and unsafe. There are not enough runoff areas to slow cars down if they go off. And so many walls so close to the track that if you crash into one you can bounce off it and smack into another.

Like this Polish driver did....at about 200 kilometres an hour....












And was lucky to get off with a broken leg.

Because of all the crashes Hamilton was forced to allow all the others to catch up to him not once or twice but FOUR times.

But at the end of the race he was all alone in front.











Wow! What an amazing performance.

But I don't just admire Lewis Hamilton for his awesome driving skills. Or because he's the first black driver in Formula One...although that does make it more special for me. Or even because I find him cute. I admire him because he's such a nice guy. So well mannered, articulate and down to earth. In a world full of pampered phonies he's the real deal














I love how he got a black belt in karate at the age of twelve to deal with a bully problem. I love how as a boy he walked up to the manager of one of Britain's most mighty racing teams and told him he'd like to drive for him some day. And now he does!!

I love how he cares for his teenage brother with cerebral palsy.

It's quite a cool feeling to watch someone grow up, to see the difficulties and troubles he's had, the experience he's had. To go through them with him and see how he pulls out of them. I think he's just an amazing lad and I really love to do things for him

And how he credits his parents for his manners.

'It comes from my parents, yeah, and being taught to appreciate things. I was like every kid, you know. You get in trouble ... I liked living life on the edge but I was always taught to appreciate things and say "thank you". I got that from my dad but also from my mum. A lot of my personality comes from my mum. It's a real half and half.

What a great new role model for black kids....

But most of all I love him for proving that that even in this jungle world.

Sometimes nice guys DO finish first.....













Go Lewis Go!!!

4 comments:

MB said...

Great blog -- keep up the great work!

JJ said...

Cool! What a great role model this guy sound like.

Anonymous said...

Hamilton will never improve Alonso records, Alonso is the youngest world champion. Lewis has a huge support from british companies... I mean, he has the best car. Hamilton is just a fast driver, he is not a champion as Alonso, Schumacher or Senna.

Simon said...

Hi anonymous....well I certainly agree that Hamilton still has a long way to go before he is a champion. And in my heart at least he will NEVER be Senna.
Nobody ever will be. And I still can't believe he is doing that well...even if he does have the best car as you say. But he does have something special. And Alonso is going to have to stay very cool to beat him.