Monday, April 18, 2011

Insite: Why the Cons Should be Arrested














The next time Stephen Harper claims to believe in our wonderfully human medicare system. And promises to keep funding it. Really. Cross my heart.

Somebody should ask him why the Cons are spending an absolute fortune going all the way to the Supreme Court to try to close down Vancouver's Insite clinic.

When it's saving so many lives.

The study, published Monday, found overdose fatalities have dropped 35 per cent, a number The Lancet calls "impressive."

"Overdose death is such a tragic and horrific outcome, the fact that it's able to reduce overdose deaths, from a public health perspective, we're just thrilled," said Dr. Evan Wood, co-author of the study.


As well as keeping addicts from getting sick, and allowing case workers a chance to try to convince drug users to seek treatment.

And then somebody can ask Harper, or his shameless stooge Tony Clement, whether this is yet another example of the Cons putting their foul Republican ideology before the lives of Canadians?

Don't they know when ideology is MURDER?

Do they really expect us to believe that they won't put that same crazed Con ideology before the future of our medicare system?

When Stephen Harper spent YEARS trying to KILL it?

And when Great Ugly Leader wrote this.

"This descent into nihilism... leads to silliness such as moral neutrality on the use of marijuana or harder drugs mixed with its random moral crusades on tobacco. It explains the lack of moral censure on personal foibles of all kinds, extenuating even criminal behaviour with moral outrage at bourgeois society, which is then tangentially blamed for deviant behaviour."

Was he high on redneck moon shine... or Jesus? Or is he just a MANIAC?

Gawd. You know I once wrote a post about a young heroin addict named Kevin who I met when I was taking a course in Vancouver. Shooting up on the doorstep of the Yaletown apartment I was renting.














I wrote about how horrified I was to see the scars and abcesses on both his arms. And how helpless I felt because all I could do was tell him to seek medical help immediately. But I never saw him again so I don't know whether he did, or whether he is even still alive.

And how sorry I was later not to have known about that wonderful Insite clinic.

Because if I had I would have dragged him there by the scruff of his neck if I had to. Because I can't see somebody dying in front of my eyes and not do ANYTHING.

I also remember how he made me laugh when he promised to stop shooting up, and start a new life in Hawaii or Australia...if I gave him ten bucks...or a few cigarettes.

So when I came across this video in my archives tonight, I thought of him again...



Except now I think if the Cons ever get a majority maybe I'll swim there too.

Because I can't live in a country with their kind of killer values.

So do me a favour eh? If you want me to stay, as well as saving OUR Canada.

Fight them, fight them, fight them.

Don't let those bastards win...

Recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could there be any health-care
professional or concerned citizen against harm reduction?

Only the pinch-penny, laissez-faire, every-man-for-himself conservative would be against it.

They should be ashamed of themselves for wanting to close such a facility.

Simon said...

hi Torontonian...I have no idea why any human being could be against harm reduction. Especially when it affects some of Canada's poorest and most vulnerable citizens.
As I mentioned in my post, I spent several months in Vancouver, and what I saw in the Downtown Eastside will haunt me forever.
I'm surprised none of the parties is using this callousness to hammer the Cons. How can we trust them with our health care system when they are willing to put their ideology before the lives of Canadians.
BTW I dug up a quote from Tony Clement claiming the Insite had only saved ONE life. But I couldn't use it because the post was getting too long. Damn...;)