Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Stephen Harper and the Con War on Women













I don't know why Stephen Harper hates women so much. I don't know why the very thought of women as equals makes him so crazy evil.

Somebody once told me it's because his apocalyptic church says women must be subordinate. And that this is one of his favourite verses:

Let a woman learn quietly with all submissiveness.I do not permit a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet.For Adam was formed first, then Eve and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. Yet she will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.

Timothy 2:11-15


Somebody else told me it had something to do with the disappearance/suicide of his grandfather. But I don't want to go there.

What I do know is that the very FIRST thing he did when he came to power was attack the equality of women. Destroy a national childcare system, designed to help working women.

And that five years later we are ALL paying for that crime.

“The prosperity of the nation is intimately tied to the labour force participation of an educated, skilled workforce that is becoming increasingly female,” says the report.

“Barring a major shift of men into child-rearing, provision of early learning and child-care services (are) essential to the nation’s future economic prosperity.”


But women are paying the most, and so are Canadian children:

Volumes of research show that quality child care helps children become lifelong learners, supports the social needs of families and is a powerful tool in reducing child poverty, the report says.

What I do know is that he was prepared to cause the death of tens of thousands of poor women, and those that depend on them, by refusing to fund safe abortions.

And that he treats the men in his Con caucus far differently than he treats the women. Just ask Bev Oda.

So what is this all about? Why is he allowed to speak and she is not?

Is it a trust issue? Does the “centre” consider Mr. Kenney a better, more articulate minister? Is his scandal less egregious and easier to explain in the eyes of the PMO strategists? Or is it simply sexism? The woman – never mind that she is a seasoned and experienced cabinet minister – simply can’t defend herself so let’s bring out the big guns to help her out?


Just ask Diane Ablonczy.

Or Helena Guergis...


















And what I'm absolutely sure of is that if he ever gets his majority he will further extinguish women's rights, and ban or severely restrict abortion.

As one theocon told a friend of mine: "We will make it easier for a man to have a baby than for a woman to have an abortion."

Anyone who believes he won't do that, is either deluded or an accomplice.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I was raised by some strong feminists who taught me almost everything I know about how to be a better man and human being.

As well as how to iron my own shirts eh? And not take nonsense from ANYBODY.

And I firmly believe that if women ruled this world it would be a kinder, gentler, saner place.

So here's to International Women's Day.

Long live my beautiful sisters.

Down with the misogynist Con bastards.

Long live OUR struggle...





















Recommend this post at Progressive Bloggers.

No comments: