Friday, March 05, 2010

Stephen Harper and the Torture Cons

















He says he likes to see fear in the eyes of others. But why is Stephen Harper so afraid of the truth, and what dark secret is he hiding?

Tonight the CBC National is reporting allegations the Con government made the torture of Afghan detainees a deliberate policy. Which would make Harper and his political thugs WAR CRIMINALS.

"If these documents were released [in full], what they will show is that Canada partnered deliberately with the torturers in Afghanistan for the interrogation of detainees."

Which would explain why he shutdown Parliament. And make this stalling tactic even more outrageous.
Because no retired judge has the power to tell Parliament what it can or cannot read.

Oh boy. It's hard to believe something so horrible could happen in Canada. But if it turned out to be true, would we really be surprised? When these hideous alien Cons have assaulted our precious Canadian values from the moment they came to office.

They attacked women by removing the word "equality" and destroying a national daycare program. They savaged their opponents like a pack of rabid animals. Nothing was too low for these hateful ideologues.

They went after feminist groups, and human rights organizations. They bullied poor Rémy Beauregard to death.












Never, ever, ever, forget how those bastard bullies treated that gentle, decent man.

Or forget that only foul Cons could appoint a xenophobe and a homophobe to head a human rights organization.

Or how those crazy religious fanatics are going after gay and lesbian Canadians. Again.

Notably absent from an otherwise commendable document, however, was any reference to gay rights or equality rights.

These are important omissions, particularly at a time when many immigrants are arriving from parts of the world where homosexuality is illegal and where discrimination is widely practised. New Canadians need to understand that while they may not immediately share Canada's sense of justice, the law protects certain groups from open prejudice.

Even though they have a right to be treated with dignity and respect in their own country. Even though it could hurt them or cost them their lives.

Even though that kind of crazy bigotry could cost me mine.

In the last few days, after writing about the theocon conspiracy, I have been bombarded with ugly comments, and creepy veiled threats. Now some weirdo has been wandering around my neighbourhood asking people if they know where I live. And this evening when I took my dog for a walk in the woods nearby, I had the strange feeling I was being stalked.

Hey maybe I'm paranoid. And who could blame me eh? Living in Stephen Harper's Con Canada, the kind of place where paranoia can become a higher state of consciousness...as one grand old mama feminist once told me. And don't worry I am not afraid. I can defend myself. And when Sébastien gets home on Sunday, I'll feel totally safe again.

But all I ask brothers and sisters is that you fight these hideous hatemongering Cons like you've NEVER fought them before. Because the evil is now very close to the surface, and it's bubbling out like acid....and corroding our beautiful country.

Organize, UNITE, fight them until these monstrous Cons are driven from power and we have our Canada back.

Fight them, fight them, fight them, like I have always tried my best to do.

And because I'm not afraid of them. And because it's Friday night.

And because I love R.E.M.

Fight them, fight them, fight them, until the day is done...



Or until the Cons are done eh?

Oh mama. Won't THAT be a beautiful day?


Have a great weekend everybody !!!!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simon,
You should ask for police protection if you feel that somebody is stalking you.

Simon said...

hi anonymous...oh don't worry if I really felt threatened I definitely would. But I'm not. I probably shouldn't have smoked a joint at a party last night. ;)
As for the creepy comments they probably have a lot to do with one of my Kenney posts being linked to by Small Dead Animals. And you know what some of her readers are like...crazy but harmless.
I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, but that kind of sinister stuff goes so well with Stephen Harper's Canada...

Oemissions said...

In all thy sons(and daughters) command.
Yes!
Fight Harper.
O Canada.
We stand on guard for Thee.

ck said...

Kate the Kunt linked to you? Wow, your traffic must have gone up. I know that's what invariably happens.

I would love to debate some of her fellow romper roomies..

CanNurse said...

Such an excellent summary of so much wrong with the HarpCons. I'm so tired. Isn't everyone tired of trying to get rid of this government that is destroying our Canada? But we have to bring up more strength & keep on fighting, because they are slytherin slime & we are losing precious freedoms everyday they are in office. GIANT party at my place, when they're out! Thanks, Simon. Am sharing it widely.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post.

Simon said...

hi Oemissions...Woohoo...now THAT's an anthem I could sing... :)

Simon said...

hi CK...oh yeah I got tons of hits but I can do without that kind of traffic thank you very much.I write it for myself, and to encourage other progressives. And for history so that years from now they can see that the tin pot dictator couldn't fool all of us... :)

P.S. you don't really want to debate those flying wingnuts. At first it's amusing...and then it's SCARY...

Simon said...

hi CanNurse...thanks and I know how you feel. It is tiring and frustrating to look on helplessly as these horrible Cons corrupt the very soul of this country.
But it's almost Spring, this story will reignite the Afghanistan issue, so I'm thinking the BEST is still to come.And the longer the wait the better the PARTY !!!! :)

supporting grandma said...

Dear Simon:

I am a grandmother who has been fighting for social justice for as long as I can remember. I read your blog every day and this is the first time I have ever left a comment. I am sad to hear of the harassment that you are experiencing but I am sure you realize it comes with having the courage to speak out.

Have a great weekend Simon.

skdadl said...

Wonderful post, Simon. It just hurts to know what they have done, doesn't it? To us and to others in our name. It just plain hurts now.

Spring -- hold that thought.

Anonymous said...

Simon,
You are not helping LGBT community by fearmongering on your blog. What do you think will happen when all Canadians assume one day that all gay people in Canada are just like you?

ck said...

CanNurse and Simon, I think we need to rally for a coalition and now.

Honestly, the NDP will never govern and their only shot at cabinet is within a coalition. As much as I hate admitting it, Canadians just aren't that left winged.

As for Iggy, he's never going to get any better. However, a force of change of leader with no election coming up so soon after the departure of Dion, would be a bad mistake.

Not to mention, wouldn't that make for a Bob Rae coronation? Suicide indeed. I can just see both the Harpercon and Bloc Quebecois ads: you want him to do to Canada (or Quebec for that matter) what he did to Ontario? He wouldn't get any votes in either Quebec or Ontario. Plus, let's face it, another TO liberal leader would not be a good thing.

If we can't get coalition now, then we should push for an election this spring.

Waiting til the fall, St-Stevie can bounce back into majority territory, particularly if the economy improves as so many are predicting. St-Stevie comes out the hero here.

I know, I know, an election now would garner more or less same as now, but outcomes in the midterm would be somewhat different. Probably Stevie would get another minority, maybe even a weakened one. Now, all he needs is one party to help him swim through a confidance motion. Perhaps a spring result would yield a weakened minority where he would require 2 or all 3 opposition parties instead of just 1. Thus, his successful game of divide and conquer would be more difficult for him to win, it would also motivate the opp into a coalition or merger as they would have to stick together.

Also, a 3rd St-Stevie minority would mean insiders in the Reformatories would probably pressure him into resigning as he will have proven that he can never yield a majority after 3 elections.

The liberals, of course, would now have their built in reason that anyone can get and maybe even welcome to oust Iggy once and for all. I only hope that they have learned their lesson and not select Bob Rae or even Kennedy. No more TO leaders; this time perhaps another French speaking quebecer (not Coderre) or even Dominic Leblanc of NB.

WILLY said...

On a positive note the paranoia declines, the older you get.... http://rawstory.com/2010/02/pot-seniors-rises-baby-boomers-age/

Unfortunately so does the munchies...

Simon said...

hi Omar...I'm sorry I deleted your comment by mistake while deleting the comment next in line which was from some crazy person talking about "faggots" and "hunters". Which is typical of some of the comments I receive, but obviously don't publish. Sorry about that. You don't have to worry about me though. Two years ago something similar happened when some crazy geezer materialized in the Shire asking for me. I wasn't at home, but one of my neighbours alerted Sebastien and he confronted the guy...who wanted me to read some crazy religious text...and told him to take a hike. And then when I came home Seb practically singed my ears off for attracting such trash into our lives. He believes that the internet has become too crazy to interact with, so I am going to have to cover this one up or fight for the right to blog again... :)

Simon said...

hi supporting grandma...thanks for reading my blog, and congratulations for fighting for social justice for so long. As I've mentioned before nobody has inspired me as much as my grannies, my mother and my sister, and a number of other strong feminists in my life. And yes I do realize you have to pay a price for standing up for a kinder, gentler, more just world. But it's more than worth it, and NOTHING will ever stop me.
And you have a great weekend too !! :)

Simon said...

hi FFIB Namol...thanks for that story I really enjoyed it. I have always believed that young people and old people will help save the world.
And that's excellent news too about the munchies...because they can be deadly... ;)

Simon said...

hi anonymous two...you're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Looking back at it now I'm glad it gave me another chance to pay tribute to poor Rémy Beauregard because I hate bullying of any kind, and what happened to him really really bothers me...

Simon said...

hi Skdadl...thank you I enjoyed writing it. And yes it does hurt to see what Harper and his thugs are doing to our country...especially since they have only 32 percent of the vote. The good news is if the other 70 percent get their act together we can chase these Cons all the way back to Alberta. And yes I'm holding on to Spring with both hands... :)

Simon said...

hi anonymous three...I'm fearmongering? And what does this mean?

What do you think will happen when all Canadians assume one day that all gay people in Canada are just like you?

Hmmmm...let me guess:

(1) We all be packed off to re-education camp...or forced labour in the Dirty Oil Sands.

(2) There will be so much fabulosity across the land everyone will have to wear sunglasses.

Yup. I think I like the second one better... ;)

Simon said...

hi CK...yes well you know my position on that. I honestly believe that only a coalition can save us. I dream of a united progressive party like the Liberal Democrats, but I'll settle for a coalition like many other advanced societies in the world.
I think many people don't realize that at 32 percent the Cons are just about at the level of their base and they can't really go much lower. And with the Bloc Quebecois now firmly installed as the comfort zone for most French-speaking Quebecers, the chances of the Liberals getting a majority are slim indeed. And if they do win a minority they will have to work with the NDP to stay in power, so they might as well start now. The one good thing about an election in the fall would be that the auditor-general will have completed her report into the Porky Action Plan. And I'm absolutely sure that's really going to hurt them...

Anonymous said...

Hi Simon,
You wrote qoute;

What do you think will happen when all Canadians assume one day that all gay people in Canada are just like you?

Hmmmm...let me guess:

(1) We all be packed off to re-education camp...or forced labour in the Dirty Oil Sands.

You would be very lucky with that.

I would expect Cons to create First Canadian Gay Brigade that would be stationed somewhere on Melville Island with the aim of defending Canadian Arctic from Russian attacks.

Simon said...

hi anonymous...

I would expect Cons to create First Canadian Gay Brigade that would be stationed somewhere on Melville Island with the aim of defending Canadian Arctic from Russian attacks.

Oh well why didn't you say so in the first place. That would be fine. Anything is better than being sentenced to life in Alberta.
And after what the Russkies said about Canada during the Olympics, I'd be happy to teach them a lesson... ;)