Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sometimes It's Not Easy to be a Canadian


Well I see it was another great day on Parliament Hill. Stephen Harper said that we don't need an inquiry into the torture of Afghan detainees because we already have one.

The Prime Minister stood and responded in kind, singing from his songbook in shrugging one-part harmony. “Mr. Speaker, I think we have been very clear" he sang. Justice Iacobucci will conduct a thorough inquiry on those documents and he will report according to his terms of reference.”

While his Justice Minister denied that.

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson stood for this one and expressed some puzzlement. “Mr. Speaker,” he said, “it is not an inquiry.”

Then the ugly Con sherriff Vic Toews came galloping out on a burro, foaming into his fascist mustache and smearing the media.

Because the Sheriff knows a hypocrite when he sees one. DADDY !!!

But never mind about that, because the Big Event of the day came when Michael Ignatieff set out to prove he was a REAL Canadian by engaging in the new Canadian tradition of Biting the Seal.














Forget the Winter Olympics, nothing unites Canada's parliamentarians like some bacon-wrapped seal loin.

Although did he really have to look as if he was eating something that resembles a doggy? Don't his advisers know anything? Didn't they tell him to stare at the camera, smile with his eyebrows, and just think about the BACON?


And BTW if anyone thinks this heroic gesture will impress the Europeans I'm afraid they're going to be disappointed.

Last spring, the Governor General Michaelle Jean ate raw seal meat from a fresh carcass when she attended a community ceremony in Nunavut. As far as political statements go, it might have only been less subtle had she wiped her mouth with the Canadian flag.

But then they're hypocrites too damn them. I guarantee that you could wrap a dog turd in bacon, and the Brits WOULD eat it.

Oh boy. Luckily I don't have to prove I'm a real Canadian eh? No matter what Jason Kenney says.

Because I've decided to take some time off from helplessly watching my country burn. And do what real Canadians do at this time of the year.

Like celebrate the almost end of winter...













With my buddy and my dog.















Because he's now 14 and starting to show his age.

This could be our last summer together.

So if he wants to concentrate on the simple joys of life...














So do I.

Yup. Sometimes it's hard to be a Canadian eh?

And sometimes it isn't.

See you in a while...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a good break and relax. You deserve it!

Omar said...

See you when you get back. Stay thirsty, my friend.

Simon said...

hi anonymous...why thank you !! :)
I do have some time off, but since I gave my march break money to Haiti, I'm not going anywhere, so I'll just blog a little less...

Simon said...

hi Omar...as I just explained I ain't going anywhere this year. But I do need some kind of mental break from Canadian politics, because it really is a dismal scene.
I may take the time though to change the look of my blog a bit, and make some more videos.
And don't worry I may be a little weary because I've had a lot of other things on my mind.
But I'm still very very thirsty, and because it's going to rain for the next few days I'll probably be blogging a lot... :)