Monday, February 09, 2009

Why Blogging Won't Make You Rich














Uh oh. Bad news everyone. When we all lose our jobs thanks to Stephen Harper's incompetent Con government, selling chestnuts in the street might help pay the bills..... but blogging definitely won't.

For two years I was obsessed with trying to turn a blog into a business. I posted 10 or 20 items a day to my site, The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs, rarely taking a break.

I walked away feeling burned out and weighing 20 pounds more than when I started. I also came away with a sneaking suspicion that while blogs can do many wonderful things, generating huge amounts of money isn't one of them.

Oh well I guess it could be worse.

Or could it? TWENTY pounds? I'd have to use Mike Duffy's face as my avatar and wouldn't that be awful?

But wait it DOES get EVEN WORSE.

OK so let's do the math. Blogging won't stop you from being homeless, it can kill you or make you really fat. And if you lose your job it can wreck your chances of ever getting another one....after subjecting you to the most embarrassing job interview EVAH.

Mr Simon did you write THAT? Um...er...yessirree Mr Boss Man. But I must have been DRUNK.

But of course it REALLY REALLY could be worse. You could be on Twitter and Facebook as well. So you can let the world know when you're going to have a shit. Or find out that Ken has flat feet that sound like suction cups when he walks. And what Sarah thinks about nutmeg.

Because the only thing worse than that would be to have my mother walk in on me when I was playing video games.

With a Joydick....



But wait...isn't that how the Blogging Tories blog?

You know people sometimes I can't help wondering whether blogging is all it's cracked up to be.

Or whether we're all dead already. The cellphones HAVE eaten our brains.

And we just don't know it...

----------------------------------------------

h/t boingboing

4 comments:

Gordie Canuk said...

I only started my blog in late November (the 26th or 27th)...and I added adsense (and other advertising) on December 10th.

I've made enough so far to splurge on a nice dinner at the golden arches... but I have to wait until the total is over $100...and they pay in USD $$$, which means expect the Canadian dollar to soar. By the time my money finally arrives the Loonie will probably be worth 4x what the greenback is...that's just the way my luck goes.

My $100 USD will only be worth $25 CDN.

Beijing York said...

LOL! Thanks for making me laugh Simon :-)

Simon said...

Hi Gordie...Geez...I might have to change the title of this post. I tried unsuccessfully to do the math...comparing what that blogger made with all those hits to what i might make with mine. And it came up to a grand total of one fiftieth of a cent.
But of course now that you point out that's in American dollars...I feel better... :)

Simon said...

Hi Beijing...you're welcome. Never mind the money...if I made you laugh the post was more than worth it.
As long as we can retain our sense of humour these days...I think we might make it... :)