Wednesday, April 25, 2007

What a Wagging Tail Can Tell you About Your Dog













I thought I was a pretty good judge of my dog's moods. I thought it was all in the tail. If it was up in the air he felt like the king of the jungle. When it's tucked between his legs he's scared like a mouse. When it hangs like a hook he's hungry. And when he wags it he's happy period.

But it turns out it's more complicated than that.

When dogs feel fundamentally positive about something or someone, their tails wag more to the right side of their rumps. When they have negative feelings, their tail wagging is biased to the left.

Isn't that amazing? And you know what I tested this theory....and it works!

Take this photo for example...













Here it's wagging to the left...because although he's happy, he's not that happy to find his bunny in the park.

So now I know exactly how he feels. When he's feeling like the king of the dogs, when he's sad, when he's hungry. When he's happy but not too happy.

Which is more than you can tell about humans.

No wonder I prefer dogs....



I mean....can cats communicate AND do stuff like that?


Wag. Wag. I don't think so....

1 comment:

JJ said...

Dogz rule! Thanks, that put me in a good mood. (tail wagging to the right?)