Monday, April 16, 2007

Campus Horror, Alan Johnston, and the Dark Days of Spring















I haven't felt like blogging recently. Normally at this time of the year I'm full of energy and ready to jump on my bike and head off for trail heaven...to see everything come alive. But this year I'm not. The weather has been so lousy. And the news has been so dark.

First there were all those deaths in Afghanistan. More good soldiers killed for a doomed mission going nowhere. Then June Callwood died. Then came the news that the brave and good BBC journalist Alan Johnston might have been murdered in Gaza.

I saw his Scottish dad on tv the other day demanding the immediate return of his son so his family wouldn't suffer so much. And it just about broke my heart.

"Hello Old Son, I don't know if you will see this but I just felt that I wanted you to know how distressed and sorry we all are that you were taken."

"Now you have not to worry about us. Your mum and Trini and I are hanging in there and trying to keep a stiff upper lip."

"Alan, all our heartfelt, warmest fondest love is sent to you from all your family and in the fervent hope that you will be released unharmed. Chin up my son".

Talk about Scottish...and sad. So the last thing I needed was this horror story to really get me down.
















To remind me of things in my past I'd rather forget. And other tragedies and mad killers.

What more can I say? Except that one.... it will probably happen again. The massive media overkill only makes that more likely.

Two.... that aren't we lucky that Montreal Police learned from their mistakes?

So the deaths of those 14 women and four teachers may at least have helped save other young lives.

And three.....that university fortresses and more guns are not the answer. No matter what the crazy right-wing nuts say.

Concealed weapons in school are the solution to school gun violence. That's what solved the issue in Israel and that's what's necessary in Canada and the United States.

What absolute bullshit. Guns are the PROBLEM. Believe me I know. The sooner we get rid of as many as we can.The safer we'll all be.

And that's all I'm going to say about that or anything else.....except that here's hoping that Alan Johnston is still alive.

And of course....that for me...

Spring can't come soon enough...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

And by asking for that you will take the guns away from law abiding citizens and put them into the hands of murdering bastards.
When that University made themselves a gunfree zone they made themselves the perfect target for a murdering lunatic.

Anonymous said...

There's a Flock of Sheep over here.

There's a Pack of Wolves over there.

Wolves make frequent, bloody and murderous forays into the flock and kill Sheep.

The flock decides they have to do something to prevent this constant violence.

So they disarm all the Sheep. And feel so good about themselves.

Anonymous said...

More than one year before today's unprecedented shooting rampage at Virginia Tech, the state's General Assembly quashed a bill that would have given qualified college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus.

At the time, Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker said he was happy to hear of the bill's defeat, according to the Roanoke Times.

"I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus," the Virginia Tech spokesman said.

At least 32 people were killed today at Virginia Tech in the worst campus shooting in U.S. history.

The proposal, House Bill 1572, was initiated by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

But the bill didn't pass its first stage, the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety.

Most universities in Virginia require students and employees, other than police, to check their guns with police or campus security upon entering campus.

Backers of the bill wanted to prohibit public universities from making "rules or regulations limiting or abridging the ability of a student who possesses a valid concealed handgun permit ... from lawfully carrying a concealed handgun."

The bill's sponsor, Gilbert, told WND that with today's tragedy still unfolding, he is uncomfortable commenting and cannot assert the university's policy in any way contributed to the shooting. But he said, nevertheless, it's clear it couldn't have stopped the attack.

"The one thing that this tragic event does illustrate is that there is not a single gun law, rule or regulation that will stop someone with this kind of evil intent from going about their business and taking life at will, if they are committed to doing that," Gilbert said.

While advocates of gun control often believe they are improving safety, they are depriving law-abiding citizens from defending themselves in dangerous situations, he contended.

"Had I been on campus today, and otherwise been entitled to carry firearms for protection and been deprived of that, I don't think words can describe how I would have felt, knowing I could have stopped something like this," Gilbert said.

People who are willing to jump through all the legal hoops necessary to get a weapons permit usually are not people society needs to worry about, he argued.

In the spring of 2005, a Virginia Tech student who had a concealed handgun permit was disciplined for bringing a handgun to class, the Roanoke paper reported. Second Amendment groups questioned the university's authority, but the Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police argued against guns on campus.

In June 2006, Virginia Tech's governing board approved a violence prevention policy that reaffirmed the school's ban.

Simon said...

Hello anonymous...thank you for your comments but let me make some things clear. One... I'm all for taking guns out of the hands of murdering bastards and putting them in the hands of police and qualified security personnel. And two I never met a gun I didn't love. I started by firing a World War I German Mauser at the age of twelve...and as you must know that takes some doing...especially when you're as skinny as I was. But the problem is this...although I am a law abiding citizen, like a lot of people I have a really bad temper. I once pursued a guy for forty kilometres because he cut in front of me and gave me the finger.If he had stopped his car and got out I probably would have beaten him to a pulp...but he would have survived. Or if he didn't get out or tried to run over me I would have used a tire iron on his car...you know knocked off the lights rear view mirrors and stuff.But if I had a gun I might have shot him.So are you are telling me that if he also had a gun and shot me....and we both died...that would be progress?
And I'm a model citizen anonymous.. Just imagine all that white trash out there going crazy with guns...it would be a massacre...

Simon said...

Oh one more thing....now that I've taken a close look at that beautiful Glock the mad kiler used to glock all those people....I want one!!!! Can I have one for Christmas? pleeeaseeeeese???
Or do I have to wait until Harper gets a majority?
Damn...

JJ said...

Anon is out to lunch. Saying the only way to stop gun crime is with more guns is like saying the only way to stop drunk driving is if we all knock back a mickey of vodka before we get behind the wheel.

The guy who did this didn't target the place because it was a gunfree zone -- all campuses in the US have their own armed police. He clearly didn't care if he got shot; he was going out in a blaze of glory. That's not the issue. The issue is how could someone with known mental problems walk into a gun store and buy a gun - a semiauto, no less - without being vetted or checked or anything before buying it? That's nuts.

harbinger said...

Simon, if you can imagine yourself shooting someone that cut you off then you are not a good citizen, and you are wrong, there would not be mayham and carnage if more law abiding people carried weapons.
(I know you wouldn't actually shoot someone for that, but what if someone was stabbing a loved one?)

JJ- You missed the whole point, the campus was gunfree, security did not carry weapons.
So you want there to be a bigbrother agency that will determine who is sane and who is not. JJ they will take you away.

JJ said...

Harbinger - I missed the point? Um, not really. The V Tech campus cops were armed.

Do you own a gun? I've owned several including one semi-auto, and believe me, the vetting process is thorough but not what I'd characterize as "big brother". It's a deadly weapon for fucks sake, people should have to prove to the rest of society that they can handle it.

Canadian gun laws definitely would have stopped this guy in his tracks, before he even got close to a gun. All I'm suggesting is that the US follow our lead.