Monday, March 19, 2007

Blogging Tories, the Gay Army, and Elton's Song

Yikes! I see my last post about hypocrisy and homophobia in the so-called progressive blogosphere was read by quite a few people...by my humble standards. But only elicited two comments. One from a straight guy who supported what I said. And one from a gay guy who didn't.

He accused me of implying that gay people were more discriminated against in Canada then any other group. But actually I wasn't implying it...I was saying it outright. Gay people are the only group in Canada who it's still socially acceptable to hate. And I was only speaking up for all those bullied gay kids who can't. What a funny world.

And a hypocritical one too...take the Blogging Tories. They made hay over the McClellan Affair. But when one of their bloggers calls for gay people to be murdered.

Begin writing essays calling for the cleansing and purification of society via the mass murder of homosexuals. Distribute videos on the website showing the actual murders of homosexuals. Circulate instructions on how to bomb gay bath houses in San Francisco.

Nobody says anything...nobody at all....see what I mean?

It's stuff like that that makes me wonder whether I should give up blogging...and join Larry Kramer's New Gay Army.









".....I also know that any organization that we start now must be an army. You have resisted this word in the past. Perhaps now that the man in charge of America’s army is calling you immoral you won’t resist it army anymore. We must field an organized army with elected leaders and a chain of command. It must be a gay army with gay leaders fighting for gay people under a gay flag....

Hmmm....I don't know if I could join an army like that. But at least grumpy old Larry got this right...

We do not seem to realize that the more we become visible, the more that more and more of us come out of the closet, the more vulnerable we become to the more and more increasingly visible hate against us. In other words, the more they see us, the more they hate us.

Any gay person who can't figure that out is living in a fool's paradise.....like so many in this country are. They won't put our gay cause or even our gay kids first. They think they've got it good...so it must be good for everyone.

They won't challenge their so-called progressive friends....or fight the battles that need to be fought right here in Canada...because they don't want to rock the boat. They want to be accepted and oh so respectable....even as our enemies attack us...even as gay kids die. Or have their lives broken...

I realize it's just another manifestation of self loathing...so I can't really blame them. But I must admit I was very discouraged and depressed. Until this story made me smile.

"Church leaders want Sir Elton John banned from Tobago - in case he turns the locals gay. He is due to headline the Plymouth jazz festival there next month. But Philip Isaac, the Archdeacon of Trinidad and Tobago, believes the singer could tempt the islanders into gay ways..."

Wow isn't that something? When I was a teenager Elton John used to make me want to turn straight. What a funny world.


I still don't like his music....but I've changed my mind about him ever since he called for religion to be banned.

And this song....especially tonight...seems kinda right ...



This video for "Elton's Song" was never released until recently...because I guess someone thought it was too gay. The lyrics were written by singer songwriter Tom Robinson. He apparently once wrote a song called "Glad to be Gay."

Then married a woman. What a funny world...

But it does remind me what it's all about.... what it was always about... and always will be.


The love that dared speak its name....and will never take second place to any other cause as long as I'm alive.

Tonight I'm sad.

Tomorrow I fight...

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:26 AM

    1. Although that story appeared on a Blogging Tory site it wasn't written by a Blogging Tory. Check the byline. It was written by Mike Adams a criminology professor at the University of North Carolina.

    2. Believe it or not, that site pays for the privilege of reprinting columns.

    3. Could you not tell it was tongue in cheek?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

    (Not sure if I agree with the word "created" in the specch, but you get my message.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So besides the byline, you managed to also miss what Adams meant when he said It gives Kent State a chance to show its dedication to the First Amendment, not just Muslim extremism.

    Do you think he plucked the name of a school out of his head? That he just tossed in a throwaway Islamic reference at the end? Apparently the article linked on Proud to Be Canadian's blog was your first exposure to Mr. Adams' columns...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Simon, but you missed on this one. It seems this column stems from Adams' outrage against Kent State professor, Julio Pino, who writes some rather interesting pro-jihad stuff. The column you point to isn't his only excercise in meaningless what ifisms.

    What is interesting however, is that professor Pino doesn't seem to be doing anything different than what tens of thousands of neo-nazis, homophobes and other assorted bigots do every day in the US. Yet in the case of Julio Pino, Adams believes the same freedom of speech those other nutcases are protected by should not apply to him.

    As for Pino himself, while I can't say for certain, it looks to me like he's only engaged in an excercise to push the boundaries of free speech. His shtick seems to be nothing more than 'I have the right to excercise my freedom of speech even when it comes to praising Osama'. Of course such distinctions are often lost on dull witted rightwhingers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burning Man7:29 PM

    The U.S is going to hell in a hand cart. Let's be oh so cute and test the boundaries of free speech, that's one thing. There are laws against being a traitor. When are these people going to be dealt with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone...I did realize that the guy was trying to be funny, although I must admit I didn't read the whole thing...so I had no idea it was that complicated. And I must say the guy he was criticizing seems as crazy as he is. But I still don't like what Adams wrote. In a society where so much irrational visceral and sometimes violent hatred is aimed at gay people I thought that his language was inflammatory...and might give people crazy ideas. But my pappy warned me to stay away from those kind of places...so I think in the future I will.
    All I can say is that I hope everyone liked the song... :)

    ReplyDelete